Taking care of your teeth and gums starts with a good at-home oral care routine. After all, failing to stick to good habits can quickly lead to tooth decay, gums disease, and tooth loss. Here are some tips for developing a good oral care routine, but if you need more dental care, contact Revive Neuromuscular Aesthetic Dentistry in Washington D.C. to schedule an appointment with Dr. Shila Yazdani or Dr. Michael M. Mortazie.
Oral Care at Home
Maintaining an oral care routine will help you keep a mouth that is happy and healthy. All you have to do is follow these simple tips:
- Brush your teeth twice each day. Wait at least thirty minutes after a meal before brushing.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss every day to remove trapped particles of food from between your teeth.
- Swish with mouthwash to eliminate bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
- Avoid sugary foods and beverages.
- Quit smoking.
Oral Care Doesn’t End at Home
It doesn’t matter how strictly you stick to your home oral care regimen, you still need to make regular visits to your dentist. These appointments enable your dentist to check for the first signs of tooth decay and treat them before they get out of hand. For instance, a professional cleaning prevents an excessive build-up of plaque and tartar, and thus prevents periodontal disease. Many Washington D.C. residents choose to visit Dr. Yazdani and Dr. Mortazie twice a year for this reason.
Signs and Symptoms to Look Out For
If you notice any of the following signs or symptoms, you should seek dental advice immediately:
- Pain in your teeth, gums, or jaw
- Bleeding gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Receding gums
- Bright red or purple gums
If you’re looking for a Washington D.C. dentist, call Revive Neuromuscular Aesthetic Dentistry today at (202) 363-3399.